Sunday, July 29, 2012

Prodigal son

Last weekend Y ran away.  She didn’t want to go to school, got angry, and acted out of her temper.  It was a few hours before we knew where she was and it was hard to know what to do about it.  I prayed a lot and then just waited.  The Lord was really good to just give me peace in the midst of it and the ability to share that with the house mom who was feeling very responsible.  (I’m not sure she knew what she was getting into with this job!) :)

Friday evening I got to talk to her on the phone and she was bawling her eyes out as she told me that she was really gone, not coming back, and so sad to leave her daughter behind.  I told her I was glad that she was safe, that I love her, that Jesus loves her, and that I wanted her to rest there with her friends and we would talk in the morning.

The Lord did some big things in her heart in the next 12 hours and at 8am she called me and asked if she could come home!  Of course.  I met her at the house that afternoon and we spent about 2 hours talking things through.  She had never heard the story of the Prodigal Son, so we read it together from the Jesus Storybook BIble.  She really seemed to understand the Lord’s great love for her, His patience, and His forgiveness.  I pray that she also saw that played out in a small way through us.  She humbly asked for forgiveness from all of us, even the other girls.  She made the phone calls she needed to make to apologize to her friends that she had lied to when she ran, and then Dona Oneyda made a cake to celebrate that she came home!

This week we have seen a different girl, the Lord knew exactly what she needed to be able to really move forward with us and in relationship with Him.  I’m so thankful for that, although a runaway is never in my plans, He knows what He is doing.

One thing for sure… life around here is never dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment